Sunday, April 22, 2012

Reuse

Do you ever reuse think about reusing things that you might have otherwise thrown away? I didn't used to (I recycled instead), but after seeing how creative people can get with their "trash", I've developed a tendency to do my part in the reuse movement!

Today's reuse spotlight involves a disposable water jug with a spigot, some potting mix, and a few plants.  Yep, you guessed it - a planter!

I had wanted to start an indoor herb/veggie garden for a while, and after working on a few self-watering containers, I decided to experiment and try something out!

List of Materials

  • Empty water jug with spigot
  • Box cutter
  • Potting mix
  • River pebbles
  • Cilantro and spicy oregano plants ($1.50 ea from Lowes during their Earth Day sale!)
Steps
  • Eyeballing it, I used the box cutters and did my best in decapitating the jug.
  • I filled the container with a layer of pebbles and then the potting mix/plants.
  • My idea was to have the spigot be my drainage hole (the layer of pebbles is a little higher than the spigot).
  • Positioning the planter next to my sink and window, it was time to test it out!
  • After giving it a deep soaking (when transplanting plants, you'll want to do this), I popped the spigot open and voila! Success!



No comments:

Post a Comment